Friday, May 30, 2008

Ginn Tribute – 2nd Round

Karrie Webb and Sophie Gustafson are tied for the lead halfway through the Ginn Tribute. Their outstanding -13 scores have them four shots clear of Teresa Lu and Inbee Park, who are tied for third. Suzann Pettersen, Na Yeon Choi and Hee Young Park are tied for fifth at -8, five shots behind.

Gustafson birdied seven times with no bogeys to post 65 (tying Pettersen, HY Park and Taylor Leon for low round of the day). Webb bogeyed twice but eagled the par-5 3rd hole and birdied six others to follow up her Thursday 65 with a 66. Also shooting 66 today was Annika Sorenstam – she’s tied for eighth with eight other players (Mi Hyun Kim and Seon Hwa Lee, most notably) at -6. Eight more players sit at -5, Morgan Pressel and Natalie Gulbis among them. The players in this area need to make the most of Moving Day to keep the top two in reasonable sight.

As I mentioned earlier, the greens kept holding so the birdies kept coming. The cut was even par, claiming last week’s winner Leta Lindley, Louise Friberg, Maria Hjorth, Angela Stanford, Hee-Won Han, Moira Dunn and Grace Park.

After I left the course, Michelle McGann triple-bogeyed 12 to end any hope she had of playing this weekend. I forgot to mention in my earlier post how much I enjoyed watching Michelle play today. Thanks to her mom, I saw my first golf-course alligator today. It was in a small pond near the 5th hole tee boxes. Not a huge gator, but plenty big enough for me. During those first few holes, I was thinking I might also be witnessing the day McGann got her A-game back. I never saw her use a driver (even on the par-5s) and only using 3-wood she was always reasonably close to her playing partners and in good position off the tee until #9. She showed me that the chance of her getting that game back is very real. Good luck, Michelle.

Saturday’s forecast is sunny, about 88 degrees with winds about 10-20mph. I’ll be taking a rest day tomorrow (my right ankle is especially complaining as I type) but will be reporting on the action via my usual couch-potato mode.

2 comments:

Bill Roberts said...

HD
It was nice to see you pay tribute to Michelle, she is a great lady and fun to watch. I hope she finds her game soon and keeps her exempt status on tour.

Unknown said...

Michelle is one of the classiest players to play the game. In a game that has become dominated by elitists, Michelle is a true ambassador of good sportsmanship and appreciation of the fans. If the LPGA had more Michelle McGann's, then maybe the LPGA would recover some of its prestige and honor.