Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Navistar Classic Preview

The inaugural Navistar Classic begins this Thursday on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. Prattville - to be exact – near Montgomery, is the home of Capitol Hill’s The Senator course, which will be hosting its first ever LPGA tournament. TV coverage will be provided by The Golf Channel beginning at 3:30pm EDT Thursday.

With the rained-out Arkansas event, we have gone without standard LPGA action for nearly four weeks. Do you remember
Sherri Steinhauer winning the State Farm Classic in thrilling fashion? That happened on September 2nd. The Solheim Cup was nice, but I’m ready to get back into the leisurely pace and build-up of your typical four-day LPGA event.

The Senator is a par-72, 6239 yards long. Being in existence for only eight years, I doubt more than couple of the players saw the course prior to Monday.
Larry says it is reminiscent of a links course, complete with pot bunkers, mounds in the fairway and multi-tiered greens. I think Ms. Steinhauer might be somewhere on the leaderboard again this week! They had a large amount of rain last weekend but the weather this week looks good.

Only 16 of my Top 30 players are here so I have to label it as
a “weak” field. Ochoa, Pressel and Pettersen are the headliners but any time this many top players are absent, the door opens for an upstart to barge in. I’ve mentioned before that I have a “Hot List” to help me make picks but since we’ve gone so long without completing an official event, I have my doubts about how reliable it is at the moment. It does list Lorena Ochoa at the top so I will play my usual card and choose her to win her fourth consecutive tournament. Christina Kim and Angela Stanford are the CYAs.

Stats: Winners 6-22 (8-22 with CYAs), Top Tens 33-64.

No comments: