Monday, December 18, 2006

Lexus Cup – Asia 12.5, International 11.5


If you were surfing the web the last few days, you might have noticed there was a ladies team match-play event in Singapore over the weekend. It was another one of those events played in Asia that nobody seems to think we would enjoy seeing, even on tape delay. This despite the fact that the players in attendance included Annika Sorenstam, Paula Creamer, Natalie Gulbis, Se Ri Pak, Grace Park…you get the picture.

Anyway, Team Asia won the competition by one point over Team International. If you’ve ever watched the Ryder or Solheim Cup competitions, you know that these team events can get pretty nerve-wracking, especially with the result as close as this one. I especially enjoy the format because it provides a rare occasion to see the players rooting openly for one another. Seon Hwa Lee, who wound up getting a point in all three matches she played, clinched the victory with her 2&1 win over Julieta Granada. There are many pictures from the event posted on the web board at Seoulsisters.com – the one above is my favorite. That's Lee sinking a birdie putt at 16 with many of her teammates watching at greenside.

I read that ESPN Asia had the tournament coverage and plans to re-air it a couple of times this week. That’s wonderful, but Dish Network doesn’t offer that channel. It shouldn’t be too much trouble for the World Wide Leader to fill up a couple of hours on ESPN2 one day this week (they could air it at 3am for all I care) by showing the final round. Clearly, I expect too much. They would rather show us 389 college basketball games, a couple of minor college football games and the World Series Of Poker for the umpteenth time.

My first New Year’s Resolution for 2007 is to quit bitching about the lack of TV coverage. I realize that the majority of LPGA events are available in my area, and I’m thankful for that. I just wish I had a chance to see Grace play Annika heads up, even though she lost 4&3.

No comments: