Monday, December 18, 2006

2003 Player Rankings

2003 was the year I started watching LPGA golf on a regular basis. I hadn’t gotten to the point where I started rearranging my schedule around the telecasts (that would be sometime around spring of 2005) but by the end of the year I was definitely watching the ladies more than the men. Which is how it should be!

Annika was Player Of The Year – ho hum – with Se Ri Pak and Grace Park a distant second and third. Miss POY won two majors (the LPGA and the British) while Patricia Meunier-Lebouc took the Kraft-Nabisco. The US Open was won by Hilary Lunke in the flukiest, lightning-in-a-bottle victory of the decade. I definitely need to document the Top 10 of those after this ranking series is done!

Here are the Top 30 Players of 2003:

1. Annika Sorenstam
2. Se Ri Pak
3. Grace Park
4. Hee-Won Han
5. Juli Inkster
6. Rachel Teske (Heatherington)
7. Rosie Jones
8. Beth Daniel
9. Karrie Webb
10. Meg Mallon
11. Candie Kung
12. Patricia Meunier-Lebouc
13. Lorena Ochoa
14. Cristie Kerr
15. Lorie Kane
16. Catriona Matthew
17. Michele Redman
18. Sophie Gustafson
19. Mi Hyun Kim
20. Suzann Pettersen
21. Laura Davies
22. Becky Morgan
23. Dorothy Delasin
24. Shi Hyun Ahn
25. Soo-Yun Kang
26. Jennifer Rosales
27. Pat Hurst
28. Angela Stanford
29. Heather Bowie (Young)
30. Laura Diaz

Retro Hound Dog Awards:
Player Of The Year – Annika Sorenstam
Rookie Of The Year – Lorena Ochoa
Fluke Victory Of The Year – Hilary Lunke

In case you noticed, Shi Hyun Ahn was my ROY of 2004 because that’s her official LPGA rookie season. She’s included on this list because she won the CJ Nine Bridges at the end of 2003 and her other limited stats puts her at #24. Maybe I should have a minimum events limit on my rankings, but at this point I don’t.

No comments: