Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mizuno Classic – 2nd Round

20-year-old Japanese Tour member Momoko Ueda fired a 64 on Saturday to take a one-shot lead into the final round of the Mizuno Classic. Karrie Webb is second at -8 with seven players including Annika Sorenstam tied for third at -7.

Ueda (who obviously didn’t read my pre-tournament comments about the JLPGA being overrated) carded five birdies on the front nine and three on the back to set a new course record at the Kashikojima Country Club. In only her second year on tour, Ueda has yet to win (best finish is T3) and is currently 15th on the JLPGA money list and 59th in the Rolex Rankings. Also trying to thwart my Thursday comments are Yun-Hee Ku and Jeong-Eun Lee, who are in the third-place logjam just two strokes behind. Ai Miyazato joins them at -7, in good position to get her first LPGA victory at home.

Annika Sorenstam isn’t giving up on the six-peat (maybe we should call it a “six pack” instead) – her 66 has her lurking. Can’t say the same for my other picks – Jeong Jang is seven shots back at -2 and Gloria Park is -1. These Asian events have been putting a hurtin’ on my stats!


Frankly, I'm getting a bit weary of writing these reports blind - I need my TV coverage! Thank God, the girls are back in the States next week so I can see what the heck they are doing and can quit relying on other people's web writings to do my posts.

No comments: