Wednesday, December 13, 2006

2005 Player Rankings

About four months ago when I first mentioned my rating system, I said I would research previous seasons and rate the top players for each of them. LPGA.com has all the data I need to do this for the years 2002 through 2005, but I failed to find another source to supply the information for years prior to 2002. If anyone out there knows of a resource where I can get yearly money lists, scoring averages, Top 10 finishes and missed cuts, please let me know (I already have the list of tournament winners). I’ll be posting the results from the years I have data every couple of days over the next week. Here are the Top 30 Players of 2005:

1. Annika Sorenstam
2. Paula Creamer
3. Cristie Kerr
4. Jeong Jang
5. Lorena Ochoa
6. Natalie Gulbis
7. Hee-Won Han
8. Catriona Matthew
9. Gloria Park
10. Candie Kung
11. Heather Bowie (Young)
12. Michelle Wie
13. Juli Inkster
14. Pat Hurst
15. Liselotte Neumann
16. Rosie Jones
17. Carin Koch
18. Meena Lee
19. Soo-Yun Kang
20. Marisa Baena
21. Mi Hyun Kim
22. Christina Kim
23. Karrie Webb
24. Michele Redman
25. Young Kim
26. Wendy Ward
27. Shi Hyun Ahn
28. Grace Park
29. Karine Icher
30. Rachel Heatherington

If you looked closely, you may have noticed a few players who won tournaments during the ’05 season didn’t make the Top 30. They were:

32. Birdie Kim (US Open champion)
33. Jennifer Rosales
38. Nicole Perrot
40. Stacy Prammanasudh
43. Jimin Kang

In all five cases, the player undermined their victory by missing more cuts, scoring higher, and earning less money (despite the win) than the players rated above them. The retroactive Hound Dog Awards for 2005 go to:

Player Of The Year – Annika Sorenstam
Rookie Of The Year – Paula Creamer
Fluke Winner Of The Year – Birdie Kim

No comments: